PERSONS OF DISTINCTION AWARDS
This award, first given in 2015, honours individuals from Waterloo Region who have distinguished themselves in the wider community or has made outstanding contributions to the Caribbean-Canadian community.
2020’s recipients are Deepa Ahluwalia, Narine Dat Sookram, Noel Richards, Ola Idris Ali and Sylma Fletcher.
2017’s recipients were Gordon Davis and Chloe Callender. A special recognition dinner was held with special tribute to Lauris DaCosta.
Event details are as follows:
Venue: Conestoga Place, 110 Manitou Dr, Kitchener
Date: Saturday, April 25, 2020
Time: 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm
Cost: $65.00 per person
Ticket are available online through Eventbrite at https://ccawr_pod2020.eventbrite.ca
Formal attire is required. Please fill in the following form to reserve your ticket now!
RESERVE YOUR TICKET BY FILLING IN THE FORM BELOW:
If you prefer to submit your reservation offline, please download the form using this link and email the completed copies to email@example.com. Otherwise, please fill out the following online form:
Nominees must be:
- A current resident of Waterloo Region
- Over 18 years of age
Categories & Criteria
Awards will be made to a maximum of five (5) persons in the following categories, meeting the listed criteria:
- The individual nominated in the “Of Caribbean Heritage – Service Distinction” category will have:
- Demonstrated consistent, unselfish and ongoing commitment to the well-being of the Caribbean and/or wider community
- The individual nominated in the “Of Caribbean Heritage – Professional Distinction” category will have:
- Distinguished themselves in the Caribbean and wider community through their professional achievements.
- The individual nominated in the “From the Wider Community” category will have:
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the challenges and concerns of the Caribbean-Canadian community
- By way of service or in their professional life, made a significant contribution to or impact on the local Caribbean community.
- Two (2) individuals nominated in the “Youth of Distinction” category will:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 30 up to and including the last day of April in the year in which the award is to be made.
- Have distinguished themselves in either of the two categories to be decided by the Board in each award year, from the following categories: Sports, Academics, Business/Entrepreneurship, Community Service, Politics and Professional Achievement.
A Nomination Package consisting of the signed Nominator’s Information and Nominee’s Information forms, along with other support documents provided in support of the information required under Suggested Information, must be completed and submitted to the Nomination Committee of the Caribbean Canadian Association of Waterloo Region, (CCAWR) before the stated end of the nomination period.
The decision of the Committee will be based solely on the information provided in the Nomination Package.
- The Nomination Committee will determine the award recipients
- The award recipients and nominators will be notified in writing
- The awards will be presented at the biennial Persons of Distinction award event
Please provide specific, detailed examples and dates to support the nomination. The information provided will be used by the Nomination Committee to determine the recipients of the award. Your nomination should include:
- A description of the individual’s contribution
- Why the nominee deserves to receive the award
- The impact the nominee’s involvement has had on the community
- A resume outlining the nominee’s background, organizational involvement, volunteer activities, community involvement, education, awards, recognitions and other achievements
- Any additional letters or comments that support the nomination
Nominations can be ongoing, but only those received by November 30 of the year prior to the award year will be considered. Nomination packages can be submitted online with the form below, or be mailed to: The Nomination Committee, Caribbean-Canadian Association of Waterloo Region, c/o Kitchener-Waterloo Multicultural Centre, 102 King St W, Kitchener, ON N2G 1A7.
ALL NOMINATIONS FOR THE 2020 AWARD YEAR MUST BE RECEIVED BY November 30, 2019. THE NOMINATOR WILL RECEIVE A RECEIPT OF SUBMISSION VIA EMAIL.
The Persons of Distinction Awards is sponsored by Caribbean Kitchen, Rainbow Caribbean and Ian Guerra, Peak Real Estate.